The holidays are upon us and I find myself pondering what to get for everyone on my list, especially the adults who already seem to have everything they could ever want or need. Although gift cards are nice, I like giving a physical gift that can be opened and enjoyed. This year I decided to make personalized gift baskets for several people on my list. The great thing about DIY gift baskets is that you can control the cost and they are typically much less expensive than purchasing pre-made gift baskets. You also get to control the contents! This means you can personalize each basket specifically for the recipient.
I like to buy basic baskets at Cost Plus World Market. They have gift baskets kits that come with the filling, plastic bag, a ribbon, and gift tag for about $5.99 (less with a coupon). Alternatively, you can purchase similar baskets, bags, and other supplies at Dollar Tree or check your local thrift store for miscellaneous baskets.
This year I made seven gift baskets. Four of them were wine and gourmet snack baskets which included items such as wine, cheese, crackers, peppered sausage, cheese boards, spreading knives, and chocolates. Another basket that I made for a sushi-lover included Asian-inspired items such as sushi rice, wasabi, pickled ginger, rice paper, udon noodles, soy sauce, Japanese plum wine, and miso soup mix. My brother loves cooking so I made him a basket that included various spices, marinades, noodles, sauces, garlic aioli, and a few craft beers to enjoy while he cooks. Another basket for my cousin’s husband who loves spicy foods included chips, cilantro-lime salsa, sriracha-flavored peanuts, sriracha aioli, and craft beer. The possibilities are endless! We had our family Christmas this past weekend and everyone absolutely LOVED their baskets! Everyone was amazed when I said I made them myself and said they were too pretty to even open (gush).
Here’s a list of gift basket theme ideas that you can use this holiday season or for any other time during that year that you have to give a gift.
DIY Gift Basket Supply List:
- Gift Shred/Basket Filler
- Clear Cellophane Bag
- Gift Tag
- 5-8 gift items to fit inside your basket
DIY Gift Basket Ideas:
- Wine & Gourmet Snack Gift Basket (wine, cheese, crackers, peppered sausage, cheese board, spreading knives, olives, tapenade, chocolates)
- Italian Dinner Gift Basket (wine, noodles, gourmet pasta sauce, pesto, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, olives)
- Fiesta Gift Basket (chips, salsa, cowboy caviar, cilantro lime rice, fajita marinade, taco seasoning, margarita mix, tequila)
- Movie Night Gift Basket (dvd or a Netflix subscription, popcorn, popcorn seasoning, popcorn bowls/bags, movie theater candy)
- Coffee Lovers Gift Basket (K-cups, gourmet coffee, creamer, syrup, chocolates, coffee mug, nuts, Bailey’s)
- Crochet or Knitting Gift Basket (crochet hooks or knitting needles, a variety of yarn, patterns, how-to dvds or books, scissors, threader)
- Chef Supplies Gift Basket (spices, marinades, dry rubs, olive oil, garlic aioli, cooking wine, cook book, cooking utensils, apron)
- Relaxation Gift Basket (wine, candle, massage oil, lotion, bath salt, facial scrub, essential oils, relaxing music cd)
- Art Gift Basket (drawing pad, markers, colored pencils, crayons, glue/glue stick, scissors, craft paper, stickers, paper punches, stencils